Excellence in General Healthcare
You and your family deserve high-quality, in-depth care within a manageable time-frame at reasonable cost. Our mission is to provide you with the kind of health care we ourselves would expect to receive in the healthcare system. For us it’s not only about providing you with good physical care: we allow time to give you the reassurance you need, for you to know your care is individualised.
The primary care we provide is backed up by our collective range of knowledge and experience across the entire medical landscape including its psychological aspects. In addition, our GPs have personal and professional connections with many specialist providers on whom we can draw to help with your management.
We are well equipped to deal with the common acute problems presenting to General Practice. We can often manage these without needing to refer you to hospital emergency departments with their long waits and high private costs. We have ready access to low-cost pathology and radiology services to help us manage these emergent problems.
One of our guiding aims is the prevention of serious illnesses before they occur using a combination of strategies including:
The important healthcare basics
- Taking a good history from you during your visits with us; we aim to pick up on warning symptoms of larger problems before they happen
- Examining key areas for external tell-tale signs of internal problems – blood pressure is one of the classics
- Cervical and breast cancer screening in women are priorities for us
- Drs Sarah Cunningham, Karen Sandercock and Margaret Harrington are our special go-to practitioners for many gynecological, breast and contraceptive issues. Sarah has long been involved with breast cancer support work and Karen is accredited to insert Mirena and Implanon devices. Shared antenatal care may be an option for some patients. Alternatively, we have an extensive array of gynaecologists to whom we can refer you
- Prostate cancer screening in men is encouraged
- We aim to provide the latest in erectile dysfunction care
- Bowel cancer screening using faecal occult blood testing is a core service offered to patients mainly over 50 years of age and in some cases our external colonoscopy service providers are used
Melanoma/skin cancer checks
- Drs Richard and Ceri Goodwin are trained in dermascope use: the high-magnification skin microscope tool to assist in early skin cancer diagnosis
- Annual skin cancer checks are recommended to check all obvious skin regions
- Including regular blood screens for typical risk factors like diabetes and high cholesterol as well as other conditions depending on your individual history
Government-funded health checks
- Advice regarding the extensive government-funded prevention-based “Health Assessments” available particularly for the vulnerable 45-49 and 75 and over age ranges is provided
- Vaccinations against a plethora of preventable and dangerous illnesses from childhood to later in life are an essential part of our core activities to help you stay well
Helping you keep up-to-date with your prevention
- We offer you an SMS or letter-based reminder system to help you keep track of your preventative screening dates
Counselling and Mental Health
We commonly deal with psychological difficulties including depression, anxiety and situational difficulties. Many of our GPs have extra training in these areas and we strongly encourage confidential counselling sessions if these are issues for you. Please don’t suffer in silence: we have many options for you to consider including prompt access to our on-site psychology services to supplement our own support. Psychology consultations can be significantly part-funded through Medicare via a “Mental Health Care Plan” process arranged by us. This can involve either individual or couples counselling.
Our Doctors strongly support routine childhood immunisation and have the full range of childhood vaccines on site. Many of our Doctors and Nurses have had significant Paediatric experience: members of our GP team have spent significant time in tertiary-based paediatric training.
Chronic Disease Management
Many people have chronic illnesses like diabetes, heart disease and arthritis. We encourage “Health Assessments” and “Care Planning” in these cases whereby a list of your problems and their management is constructed and government-funded referral to Allied Health Practitioners and Specialists can be arranged if needed. If you take multiple or complicated medications we can arrange a government-funded “Medication Review” by an accredited Clinical Pharmacist to ensure the safe use of your medications.
We can usually function as a “one-stop-shop” for all your travel medicine needs especially for trips to Asian, European and North American countries. We have access to the most up-to-date travel health information as well as the full range of common travel vaccines to help keep you healthy while you are away. We can also tap in to the latest specialist advice for complex travel itineraries.